Amy is a property lawyer with 20 years experience, more than half of which has been spent at Hynes Legal.
She was the first lawyer to work in the firm’s (then new) Brisbane office in 2004 when Hynes Legal was based on the Gold Coast. Her career (as happens with professional women) was interrupted by having to be a mother to her two children, but with both of them now in the school system, she is back on deck at Hynes Legal full time.
Amy’s experience is wide ranging but as with all at Hynes Legal, her focus is now very specialised. All she does now is management rights and the firm’s motel clients (which is an area of law we operate in but do not market to). One of Amy’s career highlights remains the drafting of the industry basis motel lease at her former employer. The lease she drafted is still widely used today.
Amy is very down to earth and is capable of cutting straight to what the core issue of any problem.
She is (obviously) the proud mother of two beautiful children, loves running and fitness generally, and for the sporting amongst you, has some deep AFL connections – not the least of which is to her husband who is a former elite level AFL umpire.
Areas of practice
- Management rights (Queensland and New South Wales)
- Motels (Queensland and New South Wales)
- Bodies corporate and owners corporations (Queensland and New South Wales)
- Queensland leasing (commercial and retail shop leasing)
- Bachelor of Laws, Queensland University of Technology
- Master of Laws, Queensland University of Technology
- Bachelor of Business, Queensland University of Technology
- Admitted as a solicitor in the Supreme Court of Queensland and New South Wales
- Acting in the purchase of some of the biggest management rights businesses in Australia, dealing with all issues such as mixed use commercial and residential issues, GST and going concern issues, NRAS and negotiation of clawback arrangements along with all other usual due diligence issues.
- Acting and managing upwards of 30 individual management rights transactions at any given time. These include a range of off-the-plan and completed projects as well as existing permanent, corporate let and holiday let complexes. Our team acts for several major unlisted industry groups that have portfolios of more than ten complexes each.
- Acting in the purchase and sale of motel businesses across Queensland and New South Wales, dealing with all issues such as negotiation of the contract, negotiation of the lease, obtaining the consent of the landlord and negotiation of the deed of consent agreement between the financier and the landlord, along with all other usual settlement issues.
- Acting in a wide variety of leasing matters including the negotiation and drafting of Agreements to Lease, Leases and advising both landlord and tenants.
- Reviewing and advising upon all aspects of commercial and retail shop leases.
- Assisting bodies corporate, individual lot owners, building managers, body corporate managers and companies on various advices in relation to the strata legislation in Queensland and New South Wales.
- Assisting with advice on specific strata legislation, such as the Building Units and Group Titles Act 1980.
- Reviewing and advising upon by-law validity, the scope of caretaking agreements and community management statements.
- Queensland Law Society