Amy is a partner of the firm and has been with Hynes Legal since 2004.
Amy’s experience is on the property side of the law with a primary focus on business and leasing transactions. She has wide-ranging and extensive experience in motels, management rights and the retirement living sectors.
One of Amy’s career highlights remains the drafting of the standard industry motel lease which is still widely used in the industry today. She has acted for hundreds of buyers and sellers of management rights and motel businesses and assists her clients to reach not only the legal solutions but the best commercial outcomes.
On the retirement living front, Amy has expertise in working with retirement village operators on large and small scale acquisitions and the day to day issues facing retirement living providers. She has guided all of the firm’s clients through the amendments to the retirement living legislation. She is also on the Leading Age Services Australia’s (LASA QLD) retirement living committee and the Property Council’s Queensland retirement living committee
Amy is very down to earth and is capable of cutting straight to what the core issue of any problem is.
She has two beautiful children, loves running and fitness generally, and for the sporting amongst you, has some deep AFL connections – not the least of which is to her husband who is a former elite-level AFL umpire.
Areas of practice
- Management rights (Queensland and New South Wales)
- Motels (Queensland and New South Wales)
- Bodies corporate and owners corporations (Queensland and New South Wales)
- Queensland leasing (commercial and retail shop leasing)
- Retirement Living
- Bachelor of Laws, Queensland University of Technology
- Master of Laws, Queensland University of Technology
- Bachelor of Business, Queensland University of Technology
- Admitted as a solicitor in the Supreme Court of Queensland and New South Wales
- Acting in the purchase of some of the biggest management rights businesses in Australia, dealing with all issues such as mixed use commercial and residential issues, GST and going concern issues, NRAS and negotiation of clawback arrangements along with all other usual due diligence issues.
- Acting and managing upwards of 30 individual management rights transactions at any given time. These include a range of off-the-plan and completed projects as well as existing permanent, corporate let and holiday let complexes. Our team acts for several major unlisted industry groups that have portfolios of more than ten complexes each.
- Acting in the purchase and sale of motel businesses across Queensland and New South Wales, dealing with all issues such as negotiation of the contract, negotiation of the lease, obtaining the consent of the landlord and negotiation of the deed of consent agreement between the financier and the landlord, along with all other usual settlement issues.
- Acting in a wide variety of leasing matters including the negotiation and drafting of Agreements to Lease, Leases and advising both landlord and tenants.
- Reviewing and advising upon all aspects of commercial and retail shop leases.
- Assisting bodies corporate, individual lot owners, building managers, body corporate managers and companies on various advices in relation to the strata legislation in Queensland and New South Wales.
- Assisting with advice on specific strata legislation, such as the Building Units and Group Titles Act 1980.
- Reviewing and advising upon by-law validity, the scope of caretaking agreements and community management statements.
- Queensland Law Society