Leo Hopsick is a corporate lawyer with over 25 years’ experience practising at major law firms and as in-house corporate counsel at major construction, energy and resources companies.
Leo acts for private and public sector clients on the delivery of major projects as well as extensive experience in the areas of mergers and acquisitions, front end construction law, project financing and joint ventures.
Leo has worked with aged care providers and retirement living operators on a range of matters including large and small scale acquisitions, advising on joint ventures and structuring arrangements.
Areas of practice
- Aged Care & Retirement Living
- Business Structuring and Transactions
- Manufactured Home Parks
- Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Commerce
- Admitted as a solicitor of the Supreme Courts of Queensland and Victoria
- Advising a leading aged care provider on the acquisition of three centres by way of share acquisition, including negotiating the share sale agreement and due diligence advice.
- Advising the purchaser of a landmark retirement living facility on the joint venture and other structuring arrangements for the ownership and operation of the facility.
- Advising a major international property sector corporation on its acquisition of ownership of management rights in the scheme by way of share acquisition including drafting & negotiating the share sale agreement and due diligence advice.
- Advising private equity investors on their acquisition of a group of child care centres by way of business asset acquisition ( land & child care centres) , including negotiating the sale agreements for each centre; due diligence; advice on bank financing arrangements; stamp duty advice; structuring advice.
- Leo has been in-house counsel at Thiess, advising on major construction contracts & infrastructure projects.
- Advising the developer of an aged care facility on its managing contractor agreement (design & construct– Guaranteed Maximum Sum) with the builder, including drafting and negotiating the construction contract and advice on project risks and risk management.
- Advising hospital owners on project documentation for the design and construction of hospitals in South East Queensland including drafting and negotiating the design and construct contracts.
- Acting for a major international provider of mining services preparing and negotiating the design and construct contracts and tendering documents for the construction of its international manufacturing facility in Brisbane.
- Australian Water Association
- Queensland Law Society