Practice Group Leader
Kristin is the Head of our Employment and Workplace Relations Practice.
She has over a decade of exclusive industrial relations and employment law experience across a broad range of clients and industry sectors including aged care, body corporate and management rights, retail, engineering, health & fitness, hospitality, labour hire, and start-ups.
Kristin provides legal and strategic advice across the full range of employment, industrial relations, discrimination and workplace health and safety laws. She takes a highly practical approach to workplace relations issues and aims to use the industrial legal framework to help, not hinder, businesses. Where possible, Kristin works towards a commercial rather than litigious resolution of workplace issues.
Kristin also has particular expertise in conducting high legal HR systems audits, assisting businesses undergoing Fair Work Ombudsman investigations (or prosecutions), and advising on enterprise bargaining (and resultant disputes).
Kristin is the Chair of the Queensland Law Society’s Industrial Relations Committee and a volunteer coordinator at Caxton Legal Centre’s employment law clinic.
Kristin is recognised by her peers and clients as a leading lawyer in the area of labour and employment law and has been included on the Best Lawyers List since 2015 and in Doyles Guide from 2018.
Areas of practice
- Employment and human resources
- Industrial Relations
- Workplace Health & Safety
- Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice, University of Wollongong
- Bachelor of Laws, University of Wollongong
- Bachelor of Creative Arts (majoring in theatre performance), University of Wollongong
- Admitted as a solicitor to the Supreme Court of Queensland and New South Wales, and the High Court of Australia
- Certified Professional Member of the Australian Human Resources Institute (CAHRI)
- Conducted a compliance audit for a group of companies and assisted in the voluntary rectification of significant and widespread underpayments
- Provided advice on change management strategies associated with large scale offshoring projects
- Assisted a client in the hospitality industry resolve a Federal Court general protections claim arising from redundancy
- Successfully terminated expired enterprise agreements in the aged care and retail industries
- Provided advice on the management of undisclosed workplace romances in various industries
- Represented an aged care provider in an AHRC matter involving female to male sexual harassment
- Negotiated the amicable exit of senior executives in a number of industries (including retail, hospitality, medical and engineering)
- Managed employment issues associated with allegations of sexual harassment involving a senior executive in the hospitality industry
- Represented an aged care provider in a pregnancy discrimination matter before the ADCQ
- Drafted high level confidentiality and restraint agreements for senior executives in a variety of industries
- Advised on employment issues associated with the acquisition of businesses in the aged care, retail, health & fitness, medical and engineering sectors
- Provided advice to an aged care provider regarding issues associated with a business model structured around independent contractors
- Conducted an audit of WHS issues and documentation for a labour hire company
- Detailed strategic audit and compliance review of policies, procedures and contracts for companies in the retail, hospitality, engineering, manufacturing and aged care industries
- Provided in house training to HR teams in a number of industries regarding accessorial liability, performance management, conducting workplace investigations, workplace bullying, managing ill & injured employees and termination of employment
- Chair of the Queensland Law Society’s industrial relations committee
- Member of the Industrial Relations Society of Queensland (member of the management committee from 2015 – 2018)
- Board Member and Deputy Chair of Epilepsy Queensland from 2017 – 2018