Kristin is Director and Head of our Employment and Workplace Relations Practice.
She has a decade of exclusive industrial relations and employment law experience across a broad range of clients and industry sectors including aged care, retail, engineering, health & fitness, hospitality, labour hire, body corporate and management rights, and start-ups.
Kristin provides legal and strategic advice across the full range of employment, industrial relations, discrimination and workplace, health and safety laws. She takes a highly practical approach to workplace relations issues and aims to use the industrial legal framework to help, not hinder, businesses. Where possible, Kristin works towards a commercial rather than litigious resolution of workplace issues.
Kristin also has particular expertise in conducting high legal HR systems audits, assisting businesses undergoing Fair Work Ombudsman investigations (or prosecutions), and advising on enterprise bargaining (and resultant disputes).
Kristin is the Chair of the Queensland Law Society’s Industrial Relations Committee, sits on the management committee for the Industrial Relations Society of Queensland and is also a volunteer coordinator at Caxton Legal Centre’s employment law clinic.
Kristin was included on the Best Lawyers list for the second consecutive year in 2017 as a leading lawyer in the area of Labour and Employment Law.
Areas of practice
- Employment and human resources
- Industrial Relations
- Workplace Health & Safety
- Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice, University of Wollongong
- Bachelor of Laws, University of Wollongong
- Bachelor of Creative Arts (majoring in theatre performance), University of Wollongong
- Admitted as a solicitor to the Supreme Court of Queensland and New South Wales, and the High Court of Australia
- Certified Professional Member of the Australian Human Resources Institute (CAHRI)
- Negotiated the amicable exit of senior executives in a number of industries (including retail, hospitality, medical and engineering)
- Managed employment issues associated with allegations of sexual harassment involving a senior executive in the hospitality industry
- Represented an aged care provider in a pregnancy discrimination matter before the Queensland Anti-Discrimination Commission
- Drafted high level confidentiality and restraint agreements for senior executives in a variety of industries
- Advised on employment issues associated with the acquisition of businesses in the aged care, retail, medical and engineering sectors
- Provided advice to an aged care provider regarding issues associated with engaging independent contractors
- Conducted an audit of WHS issues and documentation for a labour hire company
- Detailed strategic audit and compliance review of policies, procedures and contracts for companies in the retail, hospitality, engineering, manufacturing and aged care industries
- Provided in house training to HR teams in a number of industries regarding performance management, conducting workplace investigations, redundancy and termination of employment
- Partnered with online publisher HR Daily to provide a range of template employment and human resources documents to subscribers
- Chair of the Queensland Law Society’s industrial relations committee
- Member of the management committee for the Industrial Relations Society of Queensland
- Law Council of Australia
- Queensland Councillor for the Australian Human Resources Institute (2013 – 2014)
- Queensland Representative on the Law Council of Australia’s Young Lawyers Committee (2013 – 2014)
- President of the Queensland Young Lawyers Association (2012 – 2013)