Julie McStay is a Director and leader of the aged care and retirement living group at Hynes Legal.
Julie is a specialist in the industry and advises a large range of aged care providers and retirement living operators including publically listed groups, private groups and not for profits. Julie has an intimate understanding of the legal issues critical to the aged care and retirement living sector.
Julie was recently selected by her peers for inclusion, for the fifth consecutive year, in the ‘Best Lawyers International list’ as a leading lawyer in Australia in ‘Retirement Villages and Senior Living Law’.
Julie provides advice to operators on acquisitions and sales, major incident management, coronial matters and all regulatory issues. She regularly provides advice to LASA Queensland about regulatory matters relevant to both aged care and retirement living.
Julie has a Masters of Law with a major in health law and is also a graduate of the Australian Institute of Company Directors.
Areas of practice
- Aged care & Retirement Living
- Major clinical incident investigations
- Coronial matters
- Regulatory compliance
- Workplace health and safety
- Bachelor of Laws, Queensland University of Technology
- Master of Laws (Major in Health Law), Queensland University of Technology
- Graduate of Australian Institute of Company Directors
- Admitted as a solicitor of the Supreme Courts of Queensland and New South Wales and the High Court of Australia
Acquisition, disposal, development and structuring
- Advising a listed aged care provider on the acquisition of four aged care facilities in New South Wales and Queensland
- Acting in the $80 million acquisition of shares in a corporate aged care provider group with assets comprising three residential facilities including review and negotiation of contracts, conducting legal due diligence, advising on issues with aged care places and conveyance of shares.
- Acting in the acquisition of an existing 88 unit mixed-use rental and ILU retirement village in suburban Brisbane including preparation and negotiation of contracts, conducting legal due diligence, application to transfer retirement village scheme, set up and structuring advice and conveyance of assets.
- Acting in the acquisition of two mixed-use aged care and retirement village facilities in Central Queensland including preparation of contracts, conducting legal due diligence, advising on issues with aged care places, applications for retirement village scheme, transfer duty exemption applications and conveyance of assets.
- Acting in the acquisition of an existing (but only partially developed) 89 ILU retirement village on the Gold Coast including preparation and negotiation of contracts, conducting legal due diligence, dealing with complex planning and development issues, applications to transfer retirement village scheme, set up and structuring advice and conveyance of assets.
- Acting in the $30 million acquisition of an existing 143 unit retirement village comprising mainly rental units with some ILUs in suburban Brisbane including preparation and negotiation of contracts, conducting legal due diligence, application to transfer retirement village scheme, development advice, dealing with complex planning issues, set up and structuring advice and conveyance of assets.
- Advising a new retirement village operator in an application for registration of a retirement village under a novel leasehold scheme with a large church organisation.
- Advising a not for profit aged care provider on the acquisition of a 200 bed residential aged care facility in Queensland.
- Advising on the acquisition of a portfolio of residential aged care facilities and retirement villages in Queensland.
- Providing complex regulatory compliance advice to a large not for profit aged care provider and retirement village operator to assist them to develop an innovative, multi-disciplinary seniors living model to be implemented at multiple sites.
- Advising various aged care providers on prudential bond management issues and associated restructuring.
- Acting for Leading Age Services Australia in the merger of Aged Care Association Australia, Aged and Community Care Victoria and Aged Care Queensland.
- Acting for aged care providers in the acquisition of a portfolio of residential aged care places.
- Providing advice to aged care providers and retirement village operators on a multitude of regulatory compliance issues.
- Preparing public information documents and residence contracts for retirement village operators.
- Developing and implementing training packages for aged care providers and retirement village operators in workplace health and safety, medication management, substitute decision-making, end of life decisions and managing major clinical incidents. Hynes Legal provides training services to clients directly. We are also engaged by the Leading Age Services Training Institute to provide a suite of training programs, which are delivered across the state throughout the year.
- Member, Queensland Law Society Elder Law Committee
- Uniting Care Human Research Ethics Committee, Member Management Committee
- Queensland Law Society