James is a Senior Associate in our aged care and retirement living team.
He has over nine years’ experience in property, aged care & retirement living, body corporate and commercial law. James has experience in advising a broad range of clients including not-for-profit organisations, bodies corporate, individuals, partnerships as well as listed and non-listed corporations.
James is regularly involved with transactional work as well as advising on regulatory and revenue issues, and preparing contracts and other compliance documents required by clients for the set-up of new and continuing ventures.
Areas of practice
- Commercial property, leasing and development
- Aged care and retirement living
- Body corporate law
- Business and commercial law
- Revenue law
- Bachelor of Laws (Hons), University of Queensland
- Admitted as a solicitor in the Supreme Court of Queensland
- Acting in the acquisition and set up of a $22 million ‘vertical living’ retirement village including negotiation and preparation of contracts, advising on and set up of interim management arrangements, advising on financial model and structure, conducting legal due diligence, advising on village regulatory compliance, preparation of residence contracts and conveyance of assets.
- Advising on an innovative ‘greenfields’ site for a new mixed-use aged care and retirement village precinct in inner city Brisbane, including preparation of resident agreements, application to register the scheme and development advice.
- Acting in the $9 million acquisition of two mixed- use aged care and retirement village facilities including preparation of contracts, conducting legal due diligence, advising on issues with aged care places, applications for retirement village schemes, transfer duty exemption applications and conveyance of assets.
- Acting in the acquisition of various retirement villages including negotiation and preparation of contracts, conducting legal due diligence, advising on village regulatory compliance and conveyance of assets.
- Acting in the acquisition of various manufactured homes park including preparation of contracts, conducting legal due diligence, liaising with council on compliance issues, advising on manufactured home parks regulatory compliance and conveyance of assets.
- Preparing submissions to the Queensland Office of State Revenue that were successful in achieving a refund of $220,000 in transfer duty that was previously paid by a not-for-profit client.
- Advising on partnership arrangements and preparing agreements for various partnerships ranging from simple ones to complex set-ups involving multiple partners.
Queensland Law Society