Motels are a very well established property product that provides a choice for investors to:
- operate a going concern business and own the freehold property; or
- invest in just the freehold property (the same as most other commercial landlords – except that you have a long lease in place);
- invest in just the business.
At Hynes Legal, we have a team of specialists who practice in both Queensland and New South Wales. Our expert lawyers understand motels and the issues facing any tourism-based business. It is an area that we are passionate about and invest a great deal of time in growing our knowledge base on.
Our team provides advice to many buyers and sellers of motel businesses, owners of the freeholds as landlords along with providing counsel to those already in the industry. We handle all aspects of a motel transaction. We are the motel experts. Don’t put your motel investment at risk. Make sure you use experts to guide you in your motel journey.
If you currently own a motel, We invite you to upload a copy of your lease. Our team will review it (without cost or obligation) and provide you with a letter which identifies any key dates that you should be aware of in relation to your lease and the key maintenance obligations.
|Click here to submit your lease.|
If you are looking to buy or sell a motel, be sure to download our guides.
|Click here to access our motel buying and selling guides.|
Getting the right legal advice is critical and we can provide many legal services to our clients, including:
- Purchasing a Motel Business
- Sale of a Motel Business
- Purchase of a freehold motel property
- Sale of a freehold motel property
- Purchasing (or selling) both the business and the freehold
- Drafting or changing a motel lease
- Acting for a Landlord to consent to an assignment of the Lease
- Financing a Motel Lease
- Liquor Licensing
- Franchise Agreements (for example Choice, Quest, Best Western)
- Dispute Resolution
- Exercising Options
- Partnership Agreements for Motels
- Employment and Workplace Relations
- Notices to Remedy a Breach (under the lease)
Have a question for us?
Read this if you want to know the key things you should do before you list your motel for sale to make sure you stay ahead of any problems:
The single biggest expense in a motel business is usually the rent. Motel rents can get out of sync with the market. This article deals with some of the things to consider if that has happened to you and also our long-term solution (which you might be able to guess from the headline)!
The term of the Lease is extremely important to both the value of the Tenant's business and the value of the Freehold owner's investment.
There are (obviously) two very different business models in the management rights and motel industries.
We all know motel leases have finite terms. There is nothing standard about any of them and the term itself can be expressed in many ways.