Management Rights News
Defamation in strata28 May
Most of our articles are Queensland centric. This one is effectively national, because while defamation is something that our constitution deems a State issue, each State has adopted the same defamation legislation.
Read this if you are interested in watching a seminar Frank Higginson did for nearly 200 resident managers about what he sees as the most common causes of management rights disputes and how to prevent them.
Here are the most useful, interesting and most read articles from 2018!
Governments create laws. Courts and tribunals interpret those laws when they make decisions on disputes. We all then rely on those interpretations as gospel in terms of what the legislation actually means.
If William Shakespeare was a Queensland strata title property owner (particularly in North Queensland), he might at this very stage be writing:
If you don’t know whether the cladding on your building is combustible, you are soon going to be forced to find out.
We first wrote about bullying in strata more than two years ago. We have been waiting for a while, but we finally have a decision from the Fair Work Commission (FWC) that gives some guidance about whether the sort of conduct we regularly see in terms of committee and resident manager communications constitutes bullying
What is a quorum?28 May
We don’t do much Latin these days in law. Plain English is all the rage (as it should be), but without a single doubt the most frequently used word is quorum.
Have you ever tried to take instructions from seven people at once? It happens quite a bit to us here in strataland.
There are (obviously) two very different business models in the management rights and motel industries.
- Common management rights misconceptions08 Aug
- Proposed BCCM Act review recommendations announced12 Feb
- New smoke alarm requirements from 1 January10 Jan
- Opposing resolutions without dissent - the final say12 Oct
- Lot entitlements - Can you unscramble the egg?10 Oct
- Christmas is approaching - is it time to give notice?07 Oct
- The golden rules of by-law enforcement 14 Sep
- Another version of the Form 6 is live22 Jul
- Latest version of the Form 6 is live06 Jul
- Conditioning management rights assignments08 Jun