Budgeting for expenditure (particularly over the long term) is more an art than a science, but every body corporate must have budgets for their administration and sinking funds....read more
The body corporate lost again. All bodies corporate regulated by the Body Corporate and Community Management Act 1997 in Queensland have a statutory obligation to act reasonably. This is imposed by section 94....read more
The San Francisco based home sharing juggernaut just keeps growing. It is affecting accommodation supply worldwide, but also in our little part of the planet.
Hot on the heels of the lot entitlement review recommendations, we now have the recommendations paper in response to another of the BCCMA option papers.
There are new requirements for smoke alarms in all dwellings (being houses or units) from 1 January this year.
The longest running (and most expensive) dispute over a deck in Australia has been decided by the High Court. There are no appeals from there so we now have the definitive statement on what a body corporate’s decision-making obligations are based on.
Ordinarily, the answer would be a resounding ‘no’, but the government may have to give it a go with lot entitlements.
Do you intend to shut down operations over the Christmas and New Year period this year?
Acquiescence. Such a beautiful word. But not when it comes to by-law enforcement.
So after a nail-biting fortnight, Bill Shorten has conceded the election and the Coalition have been returned to Government with Malcolm Turnbull remaining at the helm (at least for the time being).
Bodies corporate are becoming increasingly empowered when considering management rights assignments.
Everything in every dispute is usually urgent. This is especially the case if there is any form of emotional involvement in the dispute itself.
- Bullying in strata24 May
- Undertakings to the Commissioner’s Office 05 May
- Smoking in strata 21 Apr
- Backing out of an off-the plan contract – Part 216 Dec
- The Year of Acting Reasonably11 Dec
- Strata titling existing buildings18 Nov
- Backing out of an off-the plan contract - Part 102 Nov
- Appointing an Administrator to a Body Corporate 16 Oct
- Dealing with nuisance owners02 Sep
- Body corporate spending limits22 Apr
- Body Corporate Governance issues - BCCM discussion paper issued15 Dec
- Property Occupations Act furphies19 Nov