Todays' announcement on aged care accommodation pricing by Senator Fifield
By Julie McStay21 Nov 2013
Please click here to see the media release issued this morning by Senator Fifield's office.
Julie McStay (head of aged care and retirement living at Hynes) has had a discussion with the Senator’s office this morning about the content of the release. From that discussion we understand the plan is as follows:
- The existing aged care accommodation pricing guidelines will be abandoned.
- A new upper threshold will be introduced that will require providers to apply to the Aged Care Pricing Commissioner to charge RADs (or a daily equivalent) over $550,000.
- The new Aged Care Pricing Commissioner (Ms Kim Cull) will shortly issue guidelines as to the criteria that should be met to make an application to charge a RAD (or a daily equivalent) over $550,000.
- Applications will be received by the Aged Care Pricing Commissioner from 31 January 2014.
- The Aged Care Pricing Commissioner will undertake some consultation with industry as to the content of the new guidelines and issue them as soon as possible.
- Providers will not have to follow the requirements for setting prices that were in the old guidelines.
- The Department will also issue a new set of best practice guidelines for providers to follow to set prices for RADs (or a daily equivalent) under $550,000. The Senator’s office could not provide any certainty as to when those Guidelines will be issued.
- Providers will still have to publish prices on the My Aged Care website, in their marketing materials and on their own websites.
- Publication of prices must occur by 19 May 2014.
Hynes Legal will keep a very close eye on these developments and keep you informed of any updates as soon as they occur. We are running a series of workshops in Brisbane, Melbourne, Sydney and Cairns on the accommodation pricing requirements. These workshops will be deferred until the new guidelines are released. We will advise new dates for the workshops as soon as the new guidelines are issued.
If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact us.