Coronial Investigations & Major Clinical Incident Investigations
Our Aged Care and Retirement Living team has a high level of specialist expertise in advising acute health care providers, residential aged care providers and disability service providers in coronial matters and on major clinical incidents.
Our specialist industry experience enables us to ensure that the investigation is conducted efficiently and without compromise to our client’s interests. We have the experience and capacity to respond immediately to your needs.
Our team has a wealth of experience in advising clients in relation to coronial matters and major clinical incidents including:
- Investigating the incident;
- Working with the coroner, the police and other statutory authorities who may be conducting simultaneous investigations;
- Appearing in coronial inquests;
- Reviewing and developing policies and procedures;
- Developing organisational risk management strategies to prevent future occurrences; and
- Developing and implementing incident investigation systems which incorporate procedures to meet the requirements of the Coroners Act.
Hynes Legal’s recent coronial experience includes:
- Advising on the death of a resident caused by the use of a bed pole
- Advising on the death of a resident who was assaulted by another resident in a dementia ward
- Advising on the death of a resident arising out a medication error
- Advising on the death of a resident following a choking incident (mismanagement of dysphagia)
- Advising on an incident in which a resident suffered a significant injury after being dropped during a sling transfer
- Advising on the death of a worker that occurred during the construction of a new residential aged care facility
Hynes Legal has advised approved providers on coronial matters in Queensland, New South Wales, Victoria, Tasmania and Western Australia.